On Sat, Dec 23, 2000 at 03:08:10AM -0600, christopher j bottaro wrote:
> i'm logged in as a normal user most of the time on my linux machine, but i
> download and install a lot of stuff too.  this requires me to switch back and
> forth between superuser and my normal login.  my friend told me that at his
> work, they have a das (do a superuser) alias on their play linux boxes.  he
> says it works like this...
> das mv blah /usr/local
> 1)  changes to su
> 2)  executes "mv blah /usr/local" as su
> 3)  exits from su

        Look into sudo.  It's either on the install disks or on the
powertools disks, but it does exactly what you want.

> can some show me how to write such an alias (or even shell script?)?  thanks
> a bunch.

        It's not an alias.  It's a program which effectively does a
controlled su based on your userid and password to perform certain commands.

        Mike
--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/