hope you guys didn't give up on me!!!
one thing i do remember that has changed recently, is that i got a new
printer last week. i wanted to update some stuff and updated my LPRng. in
doing so i needed to update other files, and those files needed other
updates, bla bla bla. ONE rpm i had to update was iproute, i had to upgrade
to iproute2. i think this is what is holding me back from getting this
working again. this is the rpm i installed :
http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/PLD//PLD-1.0/i686/PLD/RPMS//iproute2-2.2.4.ss00
1007-2.i686.html

i think what was there was:

http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/redhat/6.2/i386////iproute-2.2.4-2.i386.html

i reinstalled the above rpm but had dependencies problems and i think i did
a --nodep or --force on it. but it still does not work. is there anything
else that i am overlooking??? is there something i need to configure?

my wife is beyond furious(my machine can get on the net but not hers) and
has gone on strike and has informed me that nothing will be done around the
house(and i aint gettin' no lovin') till it is fixed. please please please.

eric