On Sun, 31 Dec 2000, brian davison wrote:

> Mikkel,
> He says Linux is complaining about the drive format incompatability...  That
> leads me to think the boot is actually happening from the scsi drive as
> wished, but that lilo is loading and then trying but unable to finish
> because the drive order is  changed.  Would this mean that if he unplugs the
> ide drive ( power or data cable) and powers up he should be able to make his
> needed boot disk (floppy) and then shut down, plug in again the ide drive ,
> boot with the floppy and mount the scsi drive, run lilo and be where he
> wants to be?  Doesn't lilo check the drive configuration and put that info
> into the loader part  it boots with?
> brian,   computer old timer, linux ~>beginner+ a little ......
> *****************************

Brian,
        Yes, he should be able to boot fine by removing the IDE
drive.  But he is going to have a problem when ever he changes the number
of IDE drives.  The problem is that his BIOS doesn't have the option to
boot from SCSI drive, so it will number the IDE drives first.  LILO can
handle this, but you have to tell it how the BIOS is numbering the
drives.  Unfortunitly, LILO can not do this for itself.  This is covered
in the LILO docs.

        I have worked with several IDE/SCSI combonation systems, but they
all supported booting from the SCSI drive in the BIOS.  In this case, that
is not true.  Also, from what is happening, I think the BIOS on the SCSI
card is overriding the MB BIOS and booting from the SCSI drive, but I am
not sure if this will continue, or if it is only because the IDE drive
isn't bootable yet.  There are advantages to both cases.

        If the system will keep booting from the SCSI drive after the IDE
drive has Windows 2k installed, then Windows should install its loader to
the MBR of the IDE disk.  That leaves LILO intact, and LILO should be able
to boot Windows with no problem.  The down side is that adding another IDE
drive, or removing the IDE drive will give LILO problems when booting
Linux.

        If the system boots from the IDE drive, then he could create a
small /boot partation at the start of the IDE drive.  That way LILO will
always know where to load the kernel, and after the kernel is loaded, how
the BIOS numbers the drives doesn't matter.  The only problem is that
Windoes will overwrite LILO installed on the MBR with its own loader.  I
am not sure what other problems you will run into with the dues boot - I
don't run Windows 2k.  But with this setup, adding another IDE drive will
not cause problems.  Removing the IDE drive will.

        In any case, with a mixed system of this type, it is a good idea
to keep a current boot floppy or two handy!

Mikkel