My comments added below |
                                           \/

"Mikkel L. Ellertson" wrote:

> On Sun, 31 Dec 2000, brian davison wrote:
>
> > Mikkel,
> > He says Linux is complaining about the drive format incompatability...  That
> > leads me to think the boot is actually happening from the scsi drive as
> > wished, but that lilo is loading and then trying but unable to finish
> > because the drive order is  changed.  Would this mean that if he unplugs the
> > ide drive ( power or data cable) and powers up he should be able to make his
> > needed boot disk (floppy) and then shut down, plug in again the ide drive ,
> > boot with the floppy and mount the scsi drive, run lilo and be where he
> > wants to be?  Doesn't lilo check the drive configuration and put that info
> > into the loader part  it boots with?
> > brian,   computer old timer, linux ~>beginner+ a little ......
> > *****************************
> >
> Brian,
>         Yes, he should be able to boot fine by removing the IDE
> drive.  But he is going to have a problem when ever he changes the number
> of IDE drives.  The problem is that his BIOS doesn't have the option to
> boot from SCSI drive, so it will number the IDE drives first.  LILO can
> handle this, but you have to tell it how the BIOS is numbering the
> drives.  Unfortunitly, LILO can not do this for itself.  This is covered
> in the LILO docs.

This is what I have been doing to make the machine boot so I can figure out what
to do. Every time I test the IDE drive I change the jumper on the cdrom to slave
and then plug in the IDE hard drive and try to boot.

>         I have worked with several IDE/SCSI combonation systems, but they
> all supported booting from the SCSI drive in the BIOS.  In this case, that
> is not true.  Also, from what is happening, I think the BIOS on the SCSI
> card is overriding the MB BIOS and booting from the SCSI drive, but I am
> not sure if this will continue, or if it is only because the IDE drive
> isn't bootable yet.  There are advantages to both cases.
>
>         If the system will keep booting from the SCSI drive after the IDE
> drive has Windows 2k installed, then Windows should install its loader to
> the MBR of the IDE disk.  That leaves LILO intact, and LILO should be able
> to boot Windows with no problem.  The down side is that adding another IDE
> drive, or removing the IDE drive will give LILO problems when booting
> Linux.

I can say for sure that I won't be adding any more IDE drives to the system if
that helps. The only reason I am trying to add this IDE drive is because I happen
to have an extra drive lying around. If I add anymore drives they will be more
SCSI drives.

I do now have a boot disk that I made, but it does have Lilo written to it yet. I
found some documentation for writing the kernel to the floppy using dd
if=/boot/vmlinuz of=/dev/fd0 bs=8192. I tried booting from the floppy and it
worked. Do I need to have Lilo on the floppy as well? I'll probably make a second
floppy like this for safety sake. So now if I can just get the IDE drive in and
linux working so that I can install Win2K on the IDE drive. If for some reason
Win2K overwrites the MBR I can hopefully use the floppy to boot back into Linux.

>         If the system boots from the IDE drive, then he could create a
> small /boot partation at the start of the IDE drive.  That way LILO will
> always know where to load the kernel, and after the kernel is loaded, how
> the BIOS numbers the drives doesn't matter.  The only problem is that
> Windoes will overwrite LILO installed on the MBR with its own loader.  I
> am not sure what other problems you will run into with the dues boot - I
> don't run Windows 2k.  But with this setup, adding another IDE drive will
> not cause problems.  Removing the IDE drive will.

When you say that removing the IDE drive will cause problems what problems will it
cause. I won't be adding anymore IDE drives, but at some point when I get more
SCSI drives I'll probably remove the IDE drive from the system.

Thanks very much,

Aaron