Why not just reject packets on the port where they scan?  I imagine they
usually scan the same port number.

ie:
# Back Orifice
$IPCHAINS -A input -l -p tcp -s $ALLADDR -d $EXTERNAL_NET 31337 -j DENY
$IPCHAINS -A input -l -p udp -s $ALLADDR -d $EXTERNAL_NET 31337 -j DENY

This blocks the entire outside world from accessing port 31337 (and logs it)

I think you can use port ranges by using a hyphen, but I'm not absolutely
sure 'bout that.  That'd be of the form:

$IPCHAINS -A input -l -p tcp -s $ALLADDR -d $EXTERNAL_NET 0-500 -j DENY
$IPCHAINS -A input -l -p udp -s $ALLADDR -d $EXTERNAL_NET 0-500 -j DENY

Although, I imagine that might break a lot of stuff...

There is also a destination port argument, but I'm not sure if this'll work:
$IPCHAINS -A input -l -p tcp -s $ALLADDR -d $EXTERNAL_NET -dport 0-500 -j
DENY

Actually, I'd imagine this one'd be closer:
$IPCHAINS -A input -l -p tcp -i $EXTERNAL_IF --destination-port 0-500 -j
DENY
$IPCHAINS -A input -l -p udp -i $EXTERNAL_IF --destination-port 0-500 -j
DENY

I hve no way to test this at the moment, but these are my inclinations...
Anyone else have any inputs?