On Mon, 08 Jan 2001 17:19:00 Jonathan Wilson wrote:
>Sssh is great however I belive TerraTerm isn't free. use putty instead for
>now (it's free) it only does ssh 1 though atm.

The most recent version of PuTTY supports SSH2. PuTTY is a single executable
and it's not too big. Putting a copy on each box should be no problem. If
you like you can set it up once, then export the registry settings from
regedit. That will create a plain text .REG file that can be double-clicked
on any other machine to install the settings in to that registry.

>Also, you can completely avoid ssh if you want to by using telnet, which is
>installed on windows by default. Please note, however, that telnet is
>hideously insecure - a big factor if you're on the Wide Open Net (of if any
>of the students have a penchant for password sniffing). SSH is definantly.

SSH is the way to go. I'd make the in.telnetd file non-executable and change
it back later if I ever needed it. SSH is just too easy with PuTTY and
OpenSSH to justify taking risks with telnet. There's an article in the
current Linux Gazette <http://www.linuxgazette.com/> about using SSH.

Just my $.02.

Tony
--
Anthony E. Greene <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <http://www.pobox.com/~agreene/>
PGP Key: 0x6C94239D/7B3D BD7D 7D91 1B44 BA26  C484 A42A 60DD 6C94 239D