You might want to try Gibbs's new driver.  He was hired by Adaptec to
completely rewrite the aic7xxx driver.  As far as I know the current
driver is longer maintained.  He wrote the orginal Free BSD port that
was ported to Linux (Or so I believe.)  I've never tried the 2.4
version, but the 2.2 version seems to work "better".

http://people.FreeBSD.org/~gibbs/linux/

Jason Perlow wrote:

> Greetings (and Linus and Alan if youre listening, thanks):
>
> I'm having a few bizarre problems with an adaptec 19160 scsi controller and
> several Linux distributions inlcluding Redhat 6.2 and 7.0, and I was
> wondering if anyone encountered anything similar and might be able to help.
>
> The machine is an Athlon 1.2Ghz with 512MB PC133 RAM, Microstar VIA KT-133
> Pro2 motherboard, with twin Adaptec 19160 32-bit SCSI untra 3 controllers.
>
> Both scsi chains are properly terminated with U-160 rated cable, both drives
> are recognized by adaptec's bios and utilities. Irregardless of which brand
> of Ultra160 10K RPM hard disk I use (I have several set up in removable bays
> as bootable devices), during the setup routine and boot sequence of every
> distro I have tried with 2.2 kernels, the drives initialize but the bus
> appears to constantly reset and the drives timeout and re-try to initialize
> again and again and again according to console error messages when the
> Adaptec 7892 module attempts to load, and I cant progress to the
> partitioning stages. The only way to get around this is to use an IDE boot
> device and use the disk as secondary storage.
>
> This appears to occur with Redhat 6.2, Redhat 7, Mandrake 7.2 and Suse 7.0 .
>   I know the hardware configuration is ok because I am using one of the
> removable drives with Windows 2000 and Windows ME just fine.
>
> I have also used these same drives on Linux with other machines that have
> similar adaptec U160 chipsets (SGI 330, IBM Intellistation) and with the
> 29160 controller (64 bit PCI version of 7892 chipset) without these
> problems, so this is puzzling the hell out of me. I have also tried ripping
> these controllers out of this new athlon box and tried them as bootable
> devices in a Pentium III machine, same problems.
>
> Anyone know who is responsible for the adaptec module? I'd love to be able
> to kick this in the bud or find out if it was resolved in 2.4.0
>
> thanks in advance!
>
> Jason Perlow
> President, Argonaut Systems Corp
> http://www.argonautsystems.com
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Media Affiliations:
>
> Contributing Editor, Sm@rt Partner     www.smartpartnermag.com
> Sr. Technology Editor, Linux Magazine  www.linux-mag.com
> Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux     www.maximumlinux.com
>
> 138 Vista Drive, Cedar Knolls NJ 07927
> (973)451-0215 (646)349-1324 eFax

Solving people's computer problems always
requires more hardware be given to you.
(The Second Rule of Hardware Acquisition)
Samuel J. Flory  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>