I've had problems with Adaptec SCSI cards.  If you can, test the card by
replacing it with another, known to work SCSI card and see if that helps.

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Jason Perlow wrote:

= Greetings (and Linus and Alan if youre listening, thanks):
=
= I'm having a few bizarre problems with an adaptec 19160 scsi controller and
= several Linux distributions inlcluding Redhat 6.2 and 7.0, and I was
= wondering if anyone encountered anything similar and might be able to help.
=
= The machine is an Athlon 1.2Ghz with 512MB PC133 RAM, Microstar VIA KT-133
= Pro2 motherboard, with twin Adaptec 19160 32-bit SCSI untra 3 controllers.
=
= Both scsi chains are properly terminated with U-160 rated cable, both drives
= are recognized by adaptec's bios and utilities. Irregardless of which brand
= of Ultra160 10K RPM hard disk I use (I have several set up in removable bays
= as bootable devices), during the setup routine and boot sequence of every
= distro I have tried with 2.2 kernels, the drives initialize but the bus
= appears to constantly reset and the drives timeout and re-try to initialize
= again and again and again according to console error messages when the
= Adaptec 7892 module attempts to load, and I cant progress to the
= partitioning stages. The only way to get around this is to use an IDE boot
= device and use the disk as secondary storage.
=
= This appears to occur with Redhat 6.2, Redhat 7, Mandrake 7.2 and Suse 7.0 .
=   I know the hardware configuration is ok because I am using one of the
= removable drives with Windows 2000 and Windows ME just fine.
=
= I have also used these same drives on Linux with other machines that have
= similar adaptec U160 chipsets (SGI 330, IBM Intellistation) and with the
= 29160 controller (64 bit PCI version of 7892 chipset) without these
= problems, so this is puzzling the hell out of me. I have also tried ripping
= these controllers out of this new athlon box and tried them as bootable
= devices in a Pentium III machine, same problems.
=
= Anyone know who is responsible for the adaptec module? I'd love to be able
= to kick this in the bud or find out if it was resolved in 2.4.0
=
= thanks in advance!
=
=
= Jason Perlow
= President, Argonaut Systems Corp
= http://www.argonautsystems.com
= [EMAIL PROTECTED]
=
= Media Affiliations:
=
= Contributing Editor, Sm@rt Partner     www.smartpartnermag.com
= Sr. Technology Editor, Linux Magazine  www.linux-mag.com
= Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux     www.maximumlinux.com
=
= 138 Vista Drive, Cedar Knolls NJ 07927
= (973)451-0215 (646)349-1324 eFax
=
=
=