Bob wrote:
> Okay,
>   Seems like we have two threads going under one subject header.  Anyway,
> I have recompiled 2.2.16-22 and now have a scsi cdrw reported and made a link
> between /dev/cdrom and /dev/sr0.  I can mount the cdrom.  No module dependency
> errors are noted at boot.
>
>   However, when I try to start xcdroast 0.98.1 [which used to work on this
> machine before the upgrade] it tells me that the cdrom does not exist and dumps
> the core.  I removed the rpm, rebooted and reinstalled from a newly downloaded
> rpm from rpmfind.net.  I get the same error.
>
>   Does anyone else have this problem with xcdroast?  Any ideas of where to go.
> I have looked at the documentation in /usr/share/xcdroast and it does not help
> me much.

xcdroast does not do the actual talking to the CDRW. It is just a GUI
frontend to cdrecord. So the first step might be to execute "cdrecord
-scanbus" and see what that says.

The second thing to check is the device files. If the block device file
is sr0, and that works for mounting, then cdrecord will look for the
device on /dev/sg0, which is likely a symbolic link to /dev/sga. Check
that they exist, and check their permissions. At least on RH 6.1, they
only allow root access by default.

Duane