Weird happenings starting last week...

/var/log/messages has no entries since jan 5.  Permission is 600, so it
should be writable.

the 'userhelper' program's suid bit was taken away so I could no longer
halt the system as a user.  I fixed that.

the 'man' program's sgid bit was unset so i couldn't view man pages.
fixed that.

I just realized while trying to start NFS that the file
/etc/rc.d/init.d/nfs doesn't exist! nfslock does.

When logging in on console, it prints a PAM message saying if the login
succeeded or failed.  That didn't used to happen.

the wtmp file seems to not be messed with.

A day or so before it started happening i was messing with network
settings.  But I think everything was normal for at least a day after
that.

What do you think?  maybe cable modems aren't all they're cracked up to
be.

I am running a stock RH 6.2.  I don't think I've even applied any
patches.

Thanks...