Have recently started to follow this list, and must thank the many of you
who've helped me along(intentionally or otherwise :-)  I have a RH6.2 server
that's been rock solid for the past year.  A few weeks ago, it took a power
outage.  Everything restarted fine, but since the power hit when I shutdown,
I now get a screenfull of "terminating...[Failed]" for most of the tasks
where I used to see "terminating...[OK]".  My /var/log/messages shows
entries of the form :
... rc: Stopping keytable succeeded
... Font Server[598]: terminating
... xfs: xfs shutdown failed
... gpm: gpm shutdown failed
... httpd: httpd shutdown failed
... sendmail: sendmail shutdown failed
... inet: inetd shutdown failed
I initially suspected that I had some stale .pid files leftover in my
/var/run/, but after a startup I've verified the .pid files in /var/run
correspond to the running processes.  If this is cosmetic, I won't worry
about it.  But when restarting several times tonight getting a new UPS
setup, I was a bit discerning .

I've peeked into /etc/rc.d/init.d/halt, and am guessing the call to
"/sbin/killall5 -15" is taking most everything out before the
"/sbin/killall5 -9", but was curious why this would just crop up all of a
sudden?  My other machines (RH7 here, MD 7.1 and RH6.2 at work) don't
exhibit this behaviour.

Much thanks in advance,
Jerry Queirolo