On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 09:36:34PM -0800, Jerry Queirolo wrote:
> The original outage was a hard power down, and is what prompted the UPS :-)
> I've run fsck, but perhaps there's something else I should do ?

Well, problem is that fsck at times might be able to get the partition
as such back in order but there could still be damaged files - I've seen
that happening once or twice. In that case fsck usually refuses to run
automatically at boot-up and asks to be run manually. Did you do that or
was it just the manual run? Do you have any files in the "lost+found"
directory of that partition? (that would point to damaged files that
were "rescued" by fsck, AFAIR)

> I've also just noticed that restarting a daemon shows the same symptoms :
> [root@alpine /root]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/sshd restart
> Shutting down sshd: kill: (1375) - No such pid
> FAILED]
> Starting sshd:   OK  ]
> [root@alpine /root]# cat /var/run/sshd.pid
> 1453
> [root@alpine /root]# ps 1453
>   PID TTY      STAT   TIME COMMAND
>  1453 ?        S      0:00 sshd
> [root@alpine /root]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/sshd restart
> Shutting down sshd: kill: (1453) - No such pid
> FAILED]
> Starting sshd:   OK  ]

I'd definitely have a closer look at /etc/rc.d and its subdirectories to
check whether everyhing is in order there - but I'm afraid that's the
only thing I can think of right now.

HTH,

Thomas
--
             "Look, Ma, no obsolete quotes and plain text only!"

     Thomas Ribbrock | http://www.bigfoot.com/~kaytan | ICQ#: 15839919