Howdy,

We have forsaken the use of linuxconf after it repeatedly did things like eat conf
files (no kidding, it really demolished them), change the perms on important binaries
to settings that don't work, and stoped services like FTP without restarting them.

I know how to set the hostname by hand, but the other day we had a crash (overload)
and when it came back up it had the hostname that was originally set in linuxconf.
This cause some problems with things like log files that get named $hostname_$date.log
- they all had the wrong hostname.

I have temporarily fixed that by setting the hostname, however, I need to fix it
permanently so that if we ever reboot again we won't have a repeat situation. I greped
for the old hostname in /etc and couldn't find it anywhere except in /etc/HOSTNAME. I
don't think that's what I'm looking for, because it seems like that was set up during
bootup.

So, where is the conf file that set the hostname during startup?

TIA

Jonathan Wilson
System Administrator

Cedar Creek Software