> is it any slower?  When I upgraded RH 6.0 to 6.2 it got a lot slower on my
> 486 with 8MB of RAM.   RH 7 was even slower...

But it's not the kernel causing your slowdown issues if that's what you're
inferring. On an 8MB 486, any extra processes/services will cause a
noticable slowdown. 8MB RAM will fill in no time causing the much slower
swapping method to be used. The kernel versions between those 3 RH distros
aren't too much different in size. I think 6.0 was kernel 2.2.5 or
somewhere in there.. 6.2 was about 2.2.14 I think, and 7.0 would be 2.2.16
or 2.2.17.

In short, there's only so much you can throw at an 8MB machine no matter
what the CPU is :)