On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Peter Peltonen wrote:

> Vineeta wrote:
> >
> > First of all,are the services ,you mentioned,ftp,telnet e.t.c. running on
> > "antarctis" machine?
>
> Yes they are. I commented telnet and ftp out from /etc/services and restarted
> inetd. I also did ps ax |grep sshd and saw sshd running (and ssh localhost
> works fine). And as I wrote in my previous mail, I've tried this with two
> different servers.

If you want to disable services, you have to edit /etc/inetd.conf, not
/etc/services.  /etc/services lists what services are on what port, but
commenting them out does not disable incomming services.  Depending on the
program, it may disable outgoing services, depending on whether the port
they connected is hard coded into the program or read from /etc/services.
Also, not all the services listed in /etc/services are controlled by
inetd.  Some of them are stand alone daemons.  (sshd is on of the stand
alone daemons.)

Mikkel