On 18 Jan 2001 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have an Adaptec AIC-7850 SCSI adapter, to which I want to attatch an
> internal Plextor CD-R drive and an external Nikon scanner.  My problem
> is that the scanner is not recognized if the CD-R drive is connected.
> I think that connecting the CD-R to the internal SCSI bus is somehow
> defeating the external bus.
>
> Is this supposed to happen?  Is this because this is a single bus
> card?  Can anyone recommend a PCI SCSI adapter that will support an
> external narrow bus and an internal narrow bus at the same time?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

Check to see if the card has a termination jumper.  I don't remember if
this card has auto-termination, but from your problem, it doesn't sound
like it.  The SCSI bus has to be terminated on both ends.  When you are
using only external or only internal devices, the card is one end, and has
to be terminated.  When you have both internal and external devices, then
the device at the end of each chain fathest from the card have to have
ternimators, and the card can not have termination enabled.

Mikkel