so i've done some investigating.  wu-ftpd-2.6.0-security.patch is indeed
the functional equivalent of lreply-buffer-overflow.patch, which addresses
the exploit for wu-ftpd that was published on june 22, 2000.  this appears
to be the only major security problem and fix since october of 1999.  see
http://www.wu-ftpd.org/ for more info.

so the rpm from 5.2 updates i'm guessing is secure from this
vulnerability, just as the rpm from 6.2 updates, and the rpms from 7.0.

in fact, for more info, the 5.2 update and the 6.2 update for wu-ftpd were
both released on the same day (june 23, 2000) and addressed this same
issue.  respective page:
http://www.redhat.com/support/errata/RHSA-2000-039-02.html

guess i should've just checked that stuff in the first place.

anyway, thanks all for your suggestions and other info.

-tcl.