On Sat, 20 Jan 2001, Greg Wright wrote:

> FWIW it may be worth setting a quota, or making /var in its own

Setting a quota is what I recommend too.  But isn't there a file
size cap on /var/log/messages* in any case?  If not, there SHOULD
be.  The system should do a little 'shunting' process whereby it
transfers /var/log/messages to /var/log/messages.[1-X] whenever
/var/log/messages reaches 2000k or so.  How does the shunting
process work right now, and how can we modify it's behavior to
immediately induce a data shunting process to shunt the data
before the file gets too large for optimal log processing?

Best Regards,
LG