On 21-Jan-01 Patrick Lacchia opined:
> Guess what? I stupidly added 3 lines to etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit. It looked
> safe,
> you just open the file with gnupad, add the lines, save. Safe until the
> next
> time you reboot and find out that you can't use RedHat 6.2 anymore.
> During
> the launch I now have a message saying, "INIT cannot execute
> etc/rc.d/sysinit". I tried several rescue solutions and so far the only
> one
> that gives me some result is to boot by typing linux emergency. That
> gives
> me the chance to log as root before INIT (and therefore rc.sysinit) is
> launched. From there I can access the file, edit it with VI but
> unfortunately not save it. The file is read only. I can copy the file
> on a
> floppy disk and open the copy with Windows notepad but it's useless
> because
> I can't erase the original on the hard drive. It looks like while in
> emergency mode all the files are read only.
> That's where I need some help:
> -     How can I remove the 3 lines I added to rc.sysinit and save the
file?
> -     Is rc.sysinit corrupted? And if so could I use root/rc.sysinit~
as a
> backup?
> -     Is there an alternate solution?
>
> Guys I am stuck so I really need your help.
>
> Thanks in advance.

mount -o rw,remount <partition>

This remounts the partition as read-write. I only tried it (just now)
with a mount that was in fstab and the action may not be totally precise.
So, you might also have to add the options for fs-type (ext2) and
mount-point. I would imagine you could do it without either since it's a
remount. But, if it fails for some reason, try adding them in and try
again.

--
Excuse my english. I went to US public school.