pl> Guess what? I stupidly added 3 lines to etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit. It looked safe,
pl> you just open the file with gnupad, add the lines, save. Safe until the next
pl> time you reboot and find out that you can't use RedHat 6.2 anymore. During
pl> the launch I now have a message saying, "INIT cannot execute
pl> etc/rc.d/sysinit". I tried several rescue solutions and so far the only one
pl> that gives me some result is to boot by typing linux emergency. That gives
pl> me the chance to log as root before INIT (and therefore rc.sysinit) is
pl> launched. From there I can access the file, edit it with VI but
pl> unfortunately not save it. The file is read only. I can copy the file on a
pl> floppy disk and open the copy with Windows notepad but it's useless because
pl> I can't erase the original on the hard drive. It looks like while in
pl> emergency mode all the files are read only.
pl> That's where I need some help:
pl> -   How can I remove the 3 lines I added to rc.sysinit and save the file?
pl> -   Is rc.sysinit corrupted? And if so could I use root/rc.sysinit~ as a
pl> backup?
pl> -   Is there an alternate solution?

Since the disk is mounted read-only at this point of the boot process
the only thing I can suggest is to boot from a single floppy boot disk
such as the one from http://www.toms.net/rb and the mount the partition
needed and edit the file.

--
Ray Curtis         Unix Programmer/Consultant   Curtis Consulting
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                        http://www.clark.net/pub/ray