I guess you're accessing your floppy drive from an icon on your
desktop.  I don't have any experience with accessing drives from icons.
I do everything from the command line.  But it works for me.  In my
/etc/fstab, I have two lines for my floppy drive, one for an ext2
floppy, and another for an msdos floppy:

/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             ext2
noauto,user,exec        0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/dosfloppy          msdos
noauto,user,exec        0 0

When I stick in an already formatted floppy, I do: mount
/mnt/<dos>floppy.  If you want to format a floppy, try:

setfdprm /dev/fd0 1440/1440
fdformat /dev/fd0
/sbin/mkfs -t ext2 <or msdos> /dev/fd0
mount /mnt/<dos>floppy

See if that works.  Also, if you want to unmount your floppy, you can't
have any processes accessing /dev/fd0, including having any windows in
which the current directory is /mnt/<dos>floppy.  Good luck,

Hidong