On Sat, Jan 27, 2001 at 02:44:44PM -0500, rpjday <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| On Sat, 27 Jan 2001, Merell L. Matlock, Jr. wrote:
| > X needs to run if my dial-up connection is active, but if the dial-up
| > is *not* active, it needs to dialup, run then disconnect.
| > I cna get the 'not active' part to work, but just can't figure out how
| > to detect if ppp0 is up and running.
|
| you could just run "ifconfig" and see if there is a PPP interface
| there.

Also worth remembering is that ppp has an "on demand" mode. You have
ppp in this mode at boot and it doesn't start the modem, just sets
routes. When you try to send data over the link it starts the modem.
Which means you can pretend it's up and let ppp do the dial-out bit
itself.
--
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743        [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

[Alain] had been looking at his dashboard, and had not seen me, so I
ran into him. - Jean Alesi on his qualifying prang at Imola '93