ifconfig tells you whether your ppp connection is active or not. then it's
up to you to connect conditionnally

# my app
ifconfig | grep "ppp0" || start_ppp_script
start app X

or something like that

A 14:11 27/01/2001 -0500, vous avez écrit :
>Howdy folks,
>
>Can someone help to pull the wool out of my eyes?
>
>I need to do a job called 'X'.
>
>X needs to run if my dial-up connection is active, but if the dial-up
>is *not* active, it needs to dialup, run then disconnect.
>
>I cna get the 'not active' part to work, but just can't figure out how
>to detect if ppp0 is up and running.
>
>Any hints/pointers will be most appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Merell
>--
>Merell L. Matlock, Jr.              Crypto:  Helping to defang Carnivore
>Linux#:  149839

Mes idees n'engagent que moi (vieux proverbe du Net)

Thierry ITTY
eMail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                FRANCE