Hi Chris,

I have bench marked the the performence on sparc with linux and solaris with
support of my IT managar .

Hold your breath for a while Linux is 45% faster than solaris on a same
hardware so that's  reason for going into linux for oracle ,mail,and
webapplications.

This is globle change in TI stand who produce sparc for sun .

if you need the spec sheet i will put it on the list.

> I'm glad that's working for you but I'm a bit puzzled...if you have a
> 3500 or a 450 why are you running Linux on it? We have a number of those
> at my shop and they're quite nice but not exactly cheap...and being a
> school we get 40 or more points off on our Sun equipment.
>
> You generally don't have a license cost any more with Solaris if you have
> eight or fewer cpus...and even if you did it's a fraction of what those
> machines cost.
>
> With Solaris 7/8 on those machines you get high performance journaling
> that's just a mount option away, the ability to install a new OS while the
> machine remains up, the ability to patch even the kernel live, rock solid
> raw device support for your oracle, painless installs because the OS knows
> all of the sparc hardware, and much more.
>
> Of course not everyone needs any or all of those capabilities for their
> applications, but since you've already made the investment in that
> hardware...
>
> ...or am I misunderstanding what you mean by 3500 or 450? We have some
> sparclinux here but it's running on sparc 2s and 5s and stuff like
> that...where the extra overhead of Solaris isn't really buying you much
> on that hardware for what it's being used for.
>
> Regards,
>
> Chris

Regards                       ph:5099025
RaghuNath L                   pager:9624395369
WSS-Team,Texas Instruments India.
     You have to live on the edge of reality -
     to make your dreams come true!!!