On Thu, 1 Feb 2001, Vineeta wrote:

> Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 12:29:13 +0530
> From: Vineeta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: LOGIN
>

> Do your /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow have entries for "root" user?
>
> Cheers,
> Vineeta
>
> Eduardo Lizarraga wrote:
>
> > I have a problem with the Login.
> > Example1:
> > LOGIN: root
> > PASSSWORD: XXXXXXXXX
> > I cannot login
> > Example:
> > LOGIN: elizarraga
> > PASSWORD:XXXXXXXXX
> > I cannot login.
> > ................................................1.- I enter as " linux
> > single" and  change the password , but nothing2.-I deleted the users
> > and passwords since etc/shadow
> >     and create again users and passwords, but nothing.
> >     What can I do?Eduardo Lizárraga

Boot into single user mode again, and remove the password entries for root
in the /etc/shadow file.  I'm not saying to remove the user account from the
file, but only to remove the second field and leave it blank.  You can
also try creating a new account called something else ("admin" would do)
with a UID of 0, and then reboot and try to log in.

adduser -u 0 admin

It may also be that your /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files are out of sync
or corrupted.  Did you ever add user accounts by editing these files
manually instead of using the adduser or useradd command?

You may also be experiencing a problem with PAM.  Can you please let us
know what error messages are you getting in /var/log/messages?  I've seen
this happening before when PAM is misconfigured.  If that's the case, then
the /var/log/messages file should give you the exact error.

Please, let us know.

Nitebirdz