the behaviour of name resolution is configured in /etc/nsswitch.conf
see man nsswitch.conf for details

name resolution specific entry is on the "hosts" line
there you can tell the system in which order use information source

for example :

hosts:  files [SUCCESS=return] dns

will make the resolver scan for the hostname in /etc/hosts first, and stop
and return if the seek was successful, and if not try with dns (bind) and
return whatever the result is (whereever it found it, or not, or if bind
was unavailable...)

this should work in your situation

hth,

A 10:25 31/01/2001 -0500, vous avez écrit :
>On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, you wrote:
>> Most of the time, when I see telnet/ftp/ssh latency, it's because the
>> system can't resolve the address from which I'm connecting.
>>
>> Check your /etc/resolv.conf file and make sure you have your correct DNS
>> servers listed.
>>
>I'm having  a problem with my RH6.2 box. If I'm trying to ftp into it from my
>Windows box while I"m online (via an ethernet based ISDN router) I often have
>troubles logging in. I've got that machine name and IP address in the
>/etc/hosts file, but it seems like it can't resolve the IP of that
machine. I'm
>*guessing* that it's trying to look it up via the DNS server, but can't
and is
>failing. How do I tell it to check the local /etc/hosts file FIRST for all
>incoming connections?
>       Thanks...
>       John

Mes idees n'engagent que moi (vieux proverbe du Net)

Thierry ITTY
eMail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                FRANCE