You could use a redirector with squid.  I haven't done this, but I
envision it like this:

When a user requests any page, the redirector checks to see if the line
is up.  If it is then the URL is not redirected and the user gets what
they asked for.  If the line is not up, the redirector creates a "please
wait" page with a meta refresh of let's say one second.  After one
second, the meta refresh points you back to the original link, which
will cause the redirector program to be called again.  When the line
finally comes up, the please wait disappears and life goes on.  Of
course, you will have to make diald maintain some sort of indicator of
the line state so your redirector program can make use of it.

- Bob Glover

PS. I left out alot of details, and as we all know the devil is in the
details.