> 1> Client request HTTP page from proxy at port 3128.
> 2> Redirector examines line status. If not OK, servers up a 'please wait'
> message. If OK - jumps to (5).
> 3> The page the redirector calls up auto-refreshes to the HTTP request after
> say 5 seconds or so.
> 4> Everything loops back to 2.
> 5> Squid serves up the requested pages.
>
> I have a feeling you're going to tell me I need to install a http server,
> and re-direct my client requests to the http server, which can the do the
> tricky bits of re-directing if necessary. Or not?

Squid will do the redirection.  You just need to write the redirector
and tell squid about it.  IIRC, it is just a process that receives URLs
on stdin and sends the changed/unchanged URL to stdout.

You do need some way of serving up the "please wait" page dynamically.
Apache would do nicely for that.  I recommend a CGI script like in this
example:

If you asked to browse www.nasa.gov, and the line was down, you would be
redirected to:

http://my.webserver/cgi-bin/chill?ORGURL=http://www.nasa.gov

Passing the ORGURL parameter allows the CGI script to generate the HTML
that will refresh to the original page every so many seconds.

- Bob Glover