On Mon, 5 Feb 2001, Peter Peltonen wrote:

> Pells wrote:
> >
> > that's not dangerous....
> > you set IP alias too much....
> > go to netconf....and disable all IP Aliases...
>
> What is IP alias?

IP Alias is when you have one NIC answering multiple IP addresses.

If you were to run "ifconfig", you'll probably get a list of interfaces,
such as eth0 (the actual NIV, eth0:0, eth0:1, eth0:2, etc...each with its
own IP address.

> How do I disable IP Aliases without using netconf / linuxconf (that I don't
> have installed)?

Well, you could look in your /etc/rc.d/init.d directory for something like
"virtualhosts" or something similar...mine starts out with:

"names=virtual.ip.address1.here virtual.ip.address2.here
virtual.ip.address3.here" in it (virtual.ip.address(x).here is, of course,
an actual numeric IP address), and some quick logic to add IPs to the NIC
as it goes along.