On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Hossein S. Zadeh wrote:

> Hi there,
> I have a cyclone board (16 port). I have setup /etc/inittab to run
> mgetty-1.1.22-1.6.x on the ports (on RedHat 6.2 box). I can confirm that
> the system opens and listens on the ports and accepts incoming calls.
> However there are two issues:
>
> 1) Apparently mgetty/pppd doesn't check /etc/passwd file. I have to put
> login/password combo into /etc/ppp/pap-secrets. Anyone knows why?

pppd normaly uses /etc/ppp/pap-secrets or /etc/ppp/chap-secrets to
validate connections.  I don't know if their is an option for pppd to
use PAM.  It may be a compile time option.

> 2) The server is on 192.168.1.60. Incoming calls get their IP from
> /etc/ppp/options.ttyCx which is 192.168.1.200 (to 215). After the remote
> machine gets its IP, and tries to communicate back to the server, the
> server drops the connection. Any ideas? Corresponding portion of
> /var/log/messages is enclosed.
>
> Thanks,
> Hossein

You need to put the valid IP range in /etc/ppp/pap-secrets.  (Or try
putting a * for the IP address - that should allow any IP.)

Mikkel