On Thu, 8 Feb 2001 at 8:31pm (+1100), Clement wrote:

> Do you know if there is any way to tell how many CPU clocks a user has
> used and how many disk space a user has used?

With BSD process accouting enabled in the kernel (it is with redhat by
default) and the psacct package you can get stats on user cpu usage and
alot of other titbits besides.  The man commands you're gonna be interested
in are "accton" to activate logging and "sa" to have a look at the output.

# sa -m
                       381      37.99re       0.12cp         0avio       462k
root                   272      34.18re       0.09cp         0avio       347k
mloe                   105       3.81re       0.03cp         0avio       765k
nobody                   4       0.00re       0.00cp         0avio       278k

... so in the few minutes since I turned it on to answer your email 381
processes have been exectuted (to completion) take 37.99 actual seconds to
execute, using 0.12 seconds of cpu time and performing, on average,
negligable I/O.  The last field is kilo-core seconds and is some sort of
memory metric but it greek (and i suspect ancient greek) to me. :)

On a busy machine the logs can get large..  but then.. on a busy machine
they'll do that anyway. I believe you would run sa from cron to merge the
log into a summery but I don't use it myself so *shurg* you'll prolly have
to do some more reading. :)

That's not really an answer.... a pointer I guess. :)

M.

--
WebCentral Pty Ltd           Australia's #1 Internet Web Hosting Company
Level 1, 96 Lytton Road.           Network Operations - Systems Engineer