Hi Gentlemen:

Would it be possible to write a script that would do this automatically
for any new package install?

For instance, if the script was called "ump" you would type "ump
<package name> and it would insert the package name into the command
"tar -xzvf <package name>.tar.gz; cd <package name>; less README" in the
appropriate places, execute and leave you in the README for that
package. That would eliminate a lot of repetitivly typing long package
names, eliminate typing mistakes, always use the same command
eliminating the "I forgot to ..." and "I should have ..." mistakes, and
always start the README file to be scanned before "corrupting" a new
package with incorrect parameters.

Thanks.