On Wed, 14 Feb 2001 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> hi,
>     I have downloaded the kernel upgrade linux-2.2.18.tar.gz and
> I tried to upgrade my redhat 6.1 with kernel 2.2.12-20 with no
> success. I downloaded the file from www.kernel.org. Is this
> compatible with Redhat? It is a source file. I compile it using
> "make oldconfig" and just press "ENTER" to all those questions
> assuming they are the default ones. After that I run "make dep"
> and finally a "make bzImage". After some time all seems to compile
> with no errors or so it seems. My problem is how do I install
> my newly created kernel to boot up default. I copy my bzImage
> to /boot/vmlinuz and then booted up but the old kernel was still
> there. Where is my problem? Is the source file not compatible
> with redhat?
>
>     Please help.
>
>                         Raul S. Bucad

You have to edit /etc/lilo.conf, and then run lilo to tell it about the
new kernel.  I would add a new entry, and keep the one for your old
kernel,  just incase your new kernel doesn't work for some reasion.
(I even do this if I install an updated kernel RPM...)

[mikkel@master mikkel]$ uname -r
2.2.18K7

Mikkel