On Fri, 16 Feb 2001 16:11:49 Linda Hanigan wrote:
><snip>
>>
>> Fetchmail can be configured to give the mail directly to procmail, so
>> you do not need to run sendmail.  But running sendmail does not add that
>> much of a load to the system if you do not have a lot of messages.
>> Besides, it will let you send mail to other users on your local system.
>> It can be a handy way to leave messages...  You only need to have
>> sendmail running on one machine on the network.
>>
>> Mikkel
>> --
>>
>I take it procmail is yet another
>program. If I ever figure out all
>the parts I might get this working.
>              Thanks
>              Linda

Procmail is the default local mailer on Red Hat boxes. If sendmail figures out that a
message is suposed to be delivered to a mailbox on the local machine, it hands it off
to a local mailer that knows how to deliver to local users. Sendmail concentrates on
sending and receiving to/from remote SMTP servers. It leaves local delivery stuff like
writing to mail spools to other tools, like procmail. If you look through your
sedmail.cf, you'll find a line that defines the local mail delivery agent (local
mailer) as procmail.

In this case, procmail is also capable of filtering mail as it delivers it. It is this
filtering action that is procmail's claim to fame. Procmail has powerful filtering
features and allows access to the mail and text processing tools that are typically
available on a Linux box. You don't have to use all this stuff, but it's nice to know
it's there.

To have fetchmail deliver to procmail, just make your ~/.fetchmailrc look something
like this:

defaults protocol POP3 fetchall nokeep mda "procmail -d LINUX_USERNAME"
poll POP_SERVER username ISP_USERNAME password ISP_PASSWORD

Most Linux mail clients can read mail filtered into folders by procmail. For instance,
Mozilla stores mail in a Mail subdirectory if your ~/.mozilla directory. You may have
to dig around a little. For this example I'll just assume it's
~/.mozilla/username/Mail/. If you wanted to put the mail from this mailinglist into
it's own folder, you could create a section in your ~/.procmailrc:

# Red Hat List
:0

Tony
--
Anthony E. Greene <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <http://www.pobox.com/~agreene/>
PGP Key: 0x6C94239D/7B3D BD7D 7D91 1B44 BA26  C484 A42A 60DD 6C94 239D