On Sat, 17 Feb 2001, Oliver Sturm wrote:

> Hallo Mikkel,
>
> Am Samstag, 17. Februar 2001 um 19:58:24, haben Sie geschrieben:
>
> > There is no problem with logging in on the console, or using a GUI.
> > The same password checking is done with both. If you want share the
> > same passwords over all the machines, you may want to check into
> > NIS, or if you need to share the same passwords between windows and
> > Linux, there is also a PAM modules that will use a Windows PDC. It
> > is not part of the Red Hat distrubution, but I think it is listed on
> > Freshmeat... You don't realy want to use nfs or smbfs to share the
> > password file.
>
> I have not been investigating setting up the linux samba server as a
> PDC, but I'll do so, then the user authentication part of it should
> work fine. I'm not sure about the state of Win2k support with a samba
> PDC, I'll have to look at that.

I haven't played with this myself - most of my network is running Linux,
not Windows.  And I do not have any W2K, NT, or ME machines here.  It
has limmited my experence with the finer points of using a PDC.  I have
debated on playing with Samba-TNG, just to gain experence.  The main
reasion I know of the PAM module was because of another discussion on
one of the lists.  (There is also one for using a Netware server.)

> What about file sharing? I have lots of stuff on the server, published
> by samba as several shares. Using NFS, it would be possible to have
> the complete home directory hierarchy exported via NFS, so everyone
> working from a workstation would have his complete home directory
> mounted via NFS. Using samba, shares might only be visible when the
> user is already logged on, so this seems impossible to replicate. How
> would I create a setup where every user's (samba-share) home directory
> would automatically be mounted as, say, ~/samba-home when he logs on?
> Regardless of how he logs on? Is the automounter somehow capable of
> this?
>
> Thanks!
> Oliver Sturm

You can use nfs to share the home directories.  It has worked well here.
The main issue is limmiting access to specific machines, because there
is no password security in a nfs mount.  If you don't limit what
machines can mount /home, then someone can add a laptop to the network,
mount /home, and access anyone's home directory.

With nfs, you will also want to make sure uid/gid is the same from
machine to machine, or set up user name/uid translation.  (I couldn't
find the reference for setting this up offhand, but I know you can do it
for nfs mounts, or use NIS to do it for the hole system.)

You can also play with one of the auto file system mounting setups.  I
have not played with this, so you will have read the HOWTO's, but you
can auto-mount samba shares...  I am not sure how it handles the
user/password when mounting home shares...  You will also lose the ext2
permisions when doing a smbmount.

You may also want to look into coda as a replacement to nfs.  I don't
know your security requirments, so you will have to deside.

Mikkel