First my apologies for this long message ... I didn't see another way to
explain as precisely as I could what's happening in Pine.

Then this: I do not have any problems to write, send and receive
non-newsgroups emails with my current Pine-version (4.33) ... Pine saves
all my non-newsgroups emails reliably as off-line content, and these are
also reliably available off-line ...

I just realized I have a problem with Pine 4.33 when trying to read
messages from newsgroups:

my "PINE 4.33   SETUP CONFIGURATION" has these entries:
    [....]
nntp-server              = news.tesion.de
    [ ... ]
news-active-file-path    = /var/lib/news/active
news-spool-directory     = /var/spool/news
    [ ... ]
and I have Red Hat 6.1 on my machine (single user, no LAN)

THE FACTS:

.newsrc says: 'comp.mail.pine: [then some numbers]' ... nothing else that
I can see in there ...

But when I'm off-line, starting Pine, moving from FOLDER LIST to the
COLLECTION LIST, then moving the cursor to "News on news.tesion.de/nntp",
I press "Enter", Pine opens a new page with the line
"News groups on news.tesion.de/nntp" on top of it
and Pine says (at the bottom of the page):
"No such host as "news.tesion.de",
and there's no 'comp.mail.pine' folder on this page (this although I set
up my nntp-server in the Pine SETUP CONFIGURATION to 'news.tesion.de'
(which according to my ISP's info-page is the correct address) AND
although I have downloaded in a previous Pine session messages from
'comp.mail.pine' )

I then open my telephone line, then moving with '<' to the previous page
(COLLECTION LIST), moving the cursor again to
'News on news.tesion.de/nntp'
pressing enter, and the page changes again to
'News groups on news.tesion.de/nntp' but this time with the entry
'comp.mail.pine', and the line on top of Pine says:
'Folder: INBOX'

Now downloading the messages from 'comp.mail.pine': having the cursor on
'comp.mail.pine' I press 'Enter' (the telephone line is still open).

Pine loads down the message index lines from comp.mail.pine, saying:
[Sorting "comp.mail.pine" |   100%   |]
after this having the words
"<News on news.tesion.de/nntp> comp.mail.pine" at the top of the page ...

I then close down the telephone line.

I scroll about over these message index lines with 'Page Down' and 'Page
Up' keys, and suddenly this doesn't work anymore (Pine freezing ...?), and
Pine says:

[Waited [x] seconds for server reply. Still waiting ...]

After some time Pine asks me whether I want to break the server
connection, I answer 'yes' and Pine tells me:
[MAIL FOLDER "comp.mail.pine" CLOSED DUE TO ACCESS ERROR]

and the top of this page (it's the MESSAGE INDEX ...) says now:

'Folder: comp.mail.pine(CLOSED)'

-- at this point I have to say, that I didn't find a Mail folder
"comp.mail.pine" (and no file with this name) on my machine.

After this, I try to read a message, opening the phone line again, moving
the cursor to this message index line, pressing 'Enter': I then receive a
new *empty* Pine page named MESSAGE TEXT with the words '[ALL of message]'
at the bottom of it.

I then go back to the MESSAGE INDEX with the '<' key: this page now says
at the index line of the message, that I wanted to see unsuccessfully:

 D  67                                             (0)

'D 67' for deleted No. 67, and '(0)' for emptied, as I would understand it
.... the same Pine behavior (with other numbers instead of 67) happens to
other messages that I try to open and read.

The Pine behavior described above sometimes varies *a bit*, but this
fact: No newsgroup off-line content, doesn't change now (IIRC I had the
comp.mail.pine message index lines just once available off-line after a
Pine start, and this after I newly setup these following entries in the
"PINE 4.33   SETUP CONFIGURATION":
news-active-file-path    = /var/lib/news/active
news-spool-directory     = /var/spool/news
(Before this "PINE 4.33 SETUP CONFIGURATION" change, IIRC: same or similar
problems as described above ...)

MY COMMENT:
I think my Pine is unable to save the news-stuff it loads down on my
machine, and this perhaps results to the problems from above ...

My questions:
--- Are there others with similar Pine problems?
--- Is all this a bug in Pine or am I getting old?
    (Any hints highly appreciated .. :)

Regards.
 ... and thanks in anticipation.

Wolfgang.

P.S.: After writing this message I tried to subscribe to another newsgroup
(than comp.mail.pine): to no avail ... similar behavior as described above
with no off-line newsgroup content for Pine ...

-WP-

--
Wolfgang Pfeiffer
My new mail-address: please see 'From' header this mail

http://www.geocities.com/wolfgangpfeiffer