On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Steve Gulick wrote:

> Ok, Well, to make a long story short I messed up big time and I know I
> should have had a more recent back up but I didn't and a typo lead me to
> rm -rf my /home partition. I immeadiately umounted /dev/hda7 (/home
> partition) so as to not overwrite any files. Now my question is aside from
> the Undelet--mini howto does anyone know of any tools that will recover the
> deleted files and file names? Is this possible? Any and all feedback is
> appreciated!
>
> TIA
> Steve, still at work kicking himself in the arse :(

Steve,
        I have only used it in tests, but Midnight commander has an
option under Commands when you are logged in as root "Undelete files"
that will undelete files.  But it doesn't list the names of the files...
I am not sure you can recover the file names, because the directory file
gets re-wirren when you delete a file, and that is the only place the
name is stored.  (The actual directory file, that contains the pointers
to the Inodes, not all the files in the directory.)  I have not had much
luck recovering directories.

I wish I could offer more help...
Mikkel