On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Peter Peltonen wrote:

> "Mikkel L. Ellertson" wrote:
>
> > > Linux eth1: 192.168.1.1/24
> > > Linux eth2: 192.168.1.2/24
> > > WIN1:       192.168.1.3/24
> > > WIN2:       192.168.1.4/24
> > >
> > Do not define networks for eth1, eth2, WIN1 or WIN2.  You can defind a
> > network for 192.168.1.0, but you don't realy have to.
>
> If I don't define a network for the WIN-boxes how will they find eachother?

You actualy have a 192.168.1.0 network, and the two Win-boxes are on it,
but you do not have a subnet for each machine.  With the Linux box as a
switch, you can consider the network as being inside the Linux machine.
Note - this is a special switch setup.  It has fixed IPs destonations on
each NIC.  If you changed the the IP of one of the Windows boxes, the
Linux box would not know how to talk to it untill you update the routing
table.  If you want Linux to learn what machines are on what interface,
you will have to play with routed.

When you set up the Windows machines, if you are using manual network
setup, you tell it that it is on 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0.

For WIN1, you give it 192.168.1.3 with 192.168.1.1 as its gateway.
For WIN2, you give it 192.168.1.4 with 192.168.1.2 as its gateway.

You can also set up DHCP to do this, but that is another thread...

Mikkel