On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Peter Peltonen wrote:

> Actually, I've done a normal hub-linux fw-masquerade setup before. A
> few of them. Now I want to do a bit more "advanced" setup. I'm just
> asking, is it possible to use the linux box as a switch. And
> wondering if I got my routing right.
>

> Regards,
> Peter

You realy want a fun setup?  Before I got my 10/100 switch and DSL, I
had a Linux box serving two network segments - one 10BaseT and one
100BaseTx, pluse a PPP connection to my ISP.  The Linux box took care of
routing between the two segments, as well as talking to the internet.
192.168.1.0/25 was the slow speed segment, and 192.168.1.129/25 was the
high speed segment.  Packets to/from the internet went from the proper
segment and the PPP interface.  Packets from one segment to the other
did not go out PPP.  The hardest part was getting the rules in the right
order so that packets from one segment didn't get masquraded when going
to the other segment...  Rule order becomes extreamly important.  This
was with ipfwadmin, not ipchains...

Mikkel