> here is my senerio,..i'm currentely running Redhat 6.2 with kernel 2.2.17
> and i want to upgrade to kernel 2.4.0, is this possible?..do i need to be
> running Redhat 7.0 ??... i went ahead and ran

You don't need 7.0. I have 6.2 and I have 2.4.x running off and on (off
and on because there is still one known unresolved problem that I'm having
with it and it deals with the AIM service which I suspect has to do with
AOL itself and how it doesn't like packets from this box).

> make menuconfig
> make dep

don't forget modules and modules_install (even if you didn't ask for
modules, it might have a few for you anyway).

just do: make dep modules modules_install bzImage (yes, you can string em
all together like this)

> all went fine,..but as soon as i ran
>
> make bzImage i got this error
>
> [root@digitalconsciousness linux]# make bzImage
> gcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -o
> scripts/split-include scripts/split-include.c
> In file included from /usr/include/errno.h:36,
>                  from scripts/split-include.c:26:
> /usr/include/bits/errno.h:25: linux/errno.h: No such file or directory
> make: *** [scripts/split-include] Error 1

Easy. This is a common problem.. but once it's fixed, it's fixed for good
unless you go back to kernel RPMs again :)

set the following soft links as follows:

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           28 Apr 21  2000 /usr/include/linux
-> /usr/src/linux/include/linux

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           26 Apr 21  2000 /usr/include/asm
-> /usr/src/linux/include/asm

ln -s /usr/src/linux/include/linux /usr/include/linux
ln -s /usr/include/asm /usr/src/linux/include/asm

make sure /usr/src/linux is soft linked to the kernel that you're either
compiling or that is currently running (in that order.. the latter since
certain things compile against the kernel headers). So you should have
it linked to the 2.4.x kernel's source that you're dealing with (since the
scripts in the kernel source tree reference things as linux and not
linux-2.4.whatever), etc.

> now looking in the /Documentation/Changes dir i noticed that
>
> modutils               2.4.0                   # insmod -V
> o  e2fsprogs              1.19                    # tune2fs --version
> o  pcmcia-cs              3.1.21                  # cardmgr -V
> o  PPP                    2.4.0                   # pppd --version
> o  isdn4k-utils           3.1pre1                 # isdnctrl 2>&1|grep
> version

Upgrade everything before you even start compiling 2.4.x. Very important
:)

> are the only packages the I need to update,...., i'm really not sure,..would
> this of caused the error when running make bzImage.....and also, i've tried
> to find these packages...with NO luck...where can i obtain them??...this
> seems quite a hassled to just upgrade the kernel to 2.4.0...and the
> reason,.among some others i'm upgrading is so i can upgrade my bind to
> 9.1.0...

Just go through a 6.2 updates mirror (like you should do weekly anyway so
you don't get rooted while sleeping). No, this isn't what's causing the
make error... as I've already explained. It has to do with the kernel RPMs
that you pulled. The links are in the RPMs... you just have to reset them.
No biggie.

> all help is appreciated...Thanks
>

>  An optimist believes we live in the best of all  possible worlds.  A
> pessimist is sure of it!

Isn't that, like, from Candide or something? :)

> ---

Thank God.. not that I have a problem with them here ;)

otay.

but it's almost 2 weeks outdated :/

-Statux