> > "File 'TkStep-8.0.4-2.i386.rpm' exists but can not be
> > stat-ed: No such file or directory" I get similar results
> > with an "ls Tk<tab> <enter>"
>
>   Sounds like file system corruption. I first thought of the files being
> immutable, but since you say you can delete them this probably isn't the case.
>  Reboot with "shutdown -F -r 0" to force a filesystem check.

I have to agre with Leonard. It sounds like you might be looking at some
filesystem corruption. Perhaps you have a flakey drive controller or are
just losing a hard drive. Here is what to do:

at the lilo prompt, type linux init=/bin/bash, followed by a return. When
the system drops you to a shell, exec another /bin/bash to get signal
handling correct. Then one by one, do an /sbin/fsck -f /dev/xxxx for all of
your filesystem partitions, answering yes to all of the questions.

Once that is done, do a /bin/sync;/bin/sync;/bin/sync and reboot.

Hope it helps,

--Matt

--

-ENOGUINNESS