At 07:37 PM 2/25/01 -0500, you wrote:

>On Sun, 25 Feb 2001, John Aldrich wrote:
>>
>> I may need to fsck the file system... but I'm working on my
>> second week of uptime (damn power isn't real reliable
>> here... and despite a 1KVA UPS my system reboots when the
>> power flickers!)
>
>Then your UPS isn't working properly!!

Exactly right.!    UPS  is SUPPOSED to kep the computer UP.

If the computer power supply isn''t overloaded or failing then:
Either the UPS is overloaded, has bad batteries, or has a failing control
board.
if the computer's power supply is fully loaded, it may not have the carry
thru  to take the 1/2 cycle switchover time many UPSs have.  One other
possibility comes to mind, and thats one that acts more like a ghost...
with the lower system and core voltages,  these new systems are reallly
succeptible to ground loops and/or elevated ground voltages.  The problem
usually  shows up when an atx power supply does a spontaneous restart...
almost impossible to trace and very frustrating.
BUT  I'd  bet on one of the batterys being marginal or worse..

brian:)
---