On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Cameron Simpson wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 05:30:26AM -0500, Jerry Human <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> | This is about one of the biggest frustrations I've found with all
> | flavors Linux. Practically every time I find a command or program I want
> | to use, BAM ... Permission Denied. [...]
> | Obviously, the problem above with rdate is permissions. Being a system
> | function it must be run as root. However, all docs say "don't run as
> | root except to perform system maintenance" and I ran it as a user, like
> | a good student. But being the only user I need to run it as user, not
> | root.
>
> Setting the system clock _is_ system maintenance.
> --

Mr. Human, there are a couple of ways to get around these admin access
problems, and easily if you run 'X':

  Keep and xterm open in which you have 'su -' to root, and cd to a benign
     directory to help avoid some nasty dir removal.

or

  Simply Ctrl-Alt-Fx back and forth to a console in which root is logged
     in.

                            - Martin J. Brown, Jr. -
                            - [EMAIL PROTECTED] -

    PGP Public Key ID: 0xCED9BD8A  Key Server: http://www.keyserver.net/en/