Hello Everyone:

This is about one of the biggest frustrations I've found with all
flavors Linux. Practically every time I find a command or program I want
to use, BAM ... Permission Denied. For instance, I lurk on this forum
trying to learn from everyone else's problems. One of the things I've
waited months for is a way to set the system time from a time server.
Today I saw a message and reply about netdate => rdate. I immediately
checked for the manpage on the RH box and it was there (I do appreciate
Linux's "if it is installed, it has a manpage" practice). Great! I
connected the RH 6.2 box to the 'net and ran rdate from the command line
with -s -p and it worked ... sort of. It did check the time and print
it. Then it returned:  "rdate: could not set system time: Operation not
permmited."

And that's the way it is with practically everything. I originally
installed Linux to learn C++ over a year ago but that has become
learning to cope with an OS that constantly refuses to work. Yes, I am
uneducated in the wims and ways of the Unices, I'm trying to learn. But
there is no easy way without buying a library or taking classes, both of
which I can't afford and have minimal time to dedicate since I work
twelve hour shifts six days a week. I don't mind having to learn
something new, in fact, I embrace it, I enjoy learning. But the
manpages, the docs, anything I can read seems to leave out just enough
that "it" still won't work. That's why I still have to check my email on
a Windows box.

Obviously, the problem above with rdate is permissions. Being a system
function it must be run as root. However, all docs say "don't run as
root except to perform system maintenance" and I ran it as a user, like
a good student. But being the only user I need to run it as user, not
root. Also obvious is that each command or program requires a different
"permission" scheme for different circumstances.

I have read about permissions in several manpages, info's and even got a
copy of Linux Unleashed (Third Edition) and Linux In A Nutshell (Second
Edition) but nothing ever hints when a permission conflict may arise or
how to approach the problem. I'm also aware that the problems of
security of a large network are vastly different from a single machine
with one user or a small home network.

So my question today is two fold: (a) where can I finally learn how to
handle permissions in different contexts, and (b) how can I set up rdate
to set the system time when run as user?

Thank you.