On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 02:08:13PM -0500, Steve Gulick thoughtfully expounded:
> Ok,
>
> We have 1 program that we use to run our whole business. It sits on a samba
> server and each workstation accessess the app over the local network. I need
> to give 3 people (max) secure access over the internet to access that server
> app and run it from their remote location. No more than 3 people will ever
> have access to the server from the remote office. Whats the best way?
>
> TIA
> Steve

Steve,

At the risk of being anal here, is this a true client/server app with a client
at the remote site and a server app at your site, or are you just talking about
extending access to a Samba share using the vpn over the internet?

If the second, I would wonder about response time.

Now I am getting into real murky waters where I have very little knowledge
(maybe none), but I'm not sure if the CIFS/SMB protocol packets will even
travel over tcpip, or if they are at another protocol layer requiring ethernet
wiring.  You might want to slap a packet sniffer on your local network and see
what kinds of packets are being moved around when people access the app.

FWIW

--
Tom Porter                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament],