Something else to check is your /etc/hosts.allow and hosts.deny files.
If your /etc/inetd.conf has the proper entries in it, which IIRC it does
by default, and you are sure that you did install the telnet-server rpm,
then the next place I'd check is the hosts.allow and hosts.deny file.
Normally, I have something like 'ALL: LOCAL" in my hosts.allow file, and
"ALL: ALL" in the hosts.deny file.  Try 'man hosts.allow' for more
information on tcp wrappers.

Monte