Why didnt you just use rp3-config and add a new ISP entry with your moms
password and username???  then log in to the ISP as hers??  I would
imagine, that if you are using a decent ISP, that the problem is on their
end...  i.e. you cant log in as user john and get mail from user mary's
account.

at least, thats how all the ISPs I have used before worked...