If your using the Nvidia Drivers you need to change in Secton Device where
driver is "nv" to "nvidia" which is the name of the one in the nvidia
RPMS. If you need I can email you my XF86Config for you to look at. Be
sure you compiled and installed the kernel rpm and the NVdriver module is
loaded. Also you need to add a line to rc.local to load it when the machine
boots, you might also consider loading agpgart.

Toms Hardware has an excellent article on how-to Nvidia for linux.

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/00q3/000811/

Kirk

>On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, David Krings wrote:

> Hi all, hi Kirk !
>
>       Thank you for the fast response and the hint. But even after installing
> the rpms from nvidia I still get "screens not found", the line before
> stating that it couldn't detect a device - and I know it is a GeForce 2
> chipset.
>
>       Yes, I started the Xconfigurator and choose as graphics card "NVIDIA
> GeForce 2" with the nv driver. Even repeating this and taking a look at the
> config file itself didn't give me more ideas. Which selection do I have to
> make ?
>
>       Using XF86Setup I get the error message "something went wrong when
> starting the X server" for probing colour depths.
>
>       Any other advice ? Setting up X is always a freaking nightmare.
>
>                       I'm going to bed,
>

>                               David
>

> At 18:19 06.03.01 -0800, you wrote:
> >Did you try the Linux drivers from Nvidia?  They have drivers for X 4.0.1
> >and 4.0.2 although the only way I got their GLX to work with 4.0.2 was to
> >use the Suse RPM which seems to work ok. There is a kernel RPM and the
> >GLX RPM which has the X driver for the card. If you still have 4.0.1 get the
> >RedHat RPMS and follow the direction on their site. Their drivers work
> >great here -  Nvidia Geforce 2 MX DDR, X 4.0.1,  I get 126fps with Quake3.
> >
> >http://www.nvidia.com/Products/Drivers.nsf/Linux.html
> >
> >On your setup (If 4.0.2 is installed ) did you try to run Xconfigurator?

     Kirk Whiting <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
     *** Gothic Unix Freak, Windoze hater ***
         http://www.prince-of-darkness.cc