My partner found a deal that by sending an email to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ( appending a .confirm.to) he gets sent
an email as soon as the email is opened.  How does this work?  Or more
specifically how do I stop it on our machines, and is there an
underlying security issue here?  I get prompted by communicator whenever
someone requests a reciept, but I saw not such prompt for this one and a
confirmation was sent.

Fetchmail did not trigger a confirmation when it got the mail from our
provider.  The email itself is in base64 mime type.  I have not looked
to see if Gary's mail is sent that way but will check today.  Is this an
html email deal?  I have javascript in mail turned off in communicator.
How can I convert the base64 string to something a human (me) can read?

I can see that an http connection was made to a machine in tonga from my
laptop when I opened the mail ( the imap server is on another machine
btw) so I can block this stuff at the firewall but I would really like
to understand what is happening.

This has really got me puzzled and kinda scared from a security aspect.

Any help appreciated.

Bret