Defintitely software some kind of gnome enlightenment esd problem?  I can
hear sound but its distorted cause it plays too slow!  Watching the display
on either X11amp or xmms the time is moving too slowly a second of play
takes a minute type thing.  If I cat an au to the dev/sound or whataever it
plays fine.  System sounds in gnome have exactly the same problem they go on
for ever -phasing.  I did play an mp3 file perfectly once though in xmms
(which I'd recommend).  I think my only solution is to upgrade my sound card
and try the ALSA drivers.  I want to get a more sophisticated soundcard
anyway since I want to do some music recording and at the moment I cannot
play CDs since the connector on my old soncrad won't connect to my newer
ATAPI CD rom.  Any recommendations for soundcards well supported by linux
would be welcome with some home recording and mixing capabilites.  Surprised
you haven't got X11amp installed though-did you do a minimum installation?
Ta.  NH.